12 Feb Valentine’s Day with Zonte’s
If you’ve waited too long to get a booking at a fancy restaurant for Valentine’s Day, don’t worry we’ve got you covered…
We’ve prepared two delicious dishes for you to try, one of which is Vegan. And to put the icing on top, try pairing these with Zonte’s 2017 Grenache ‘Love Symbol’.
Gallo Pinto is a central American cuisine that consists of beans and rice. It’s perfect for those of you with vegan preferences who want a dish that will make you and your valentine feel like you’re on holiday. A quick and easy meal to make, you’ll have no problem whipping it up last minute.
- 2-3 cups of cooked rice
- 3 tbsp oil (grape-seed or neutral oils will work)
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed, with liquid reserved in separate dish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fried Plantains
- Cook the rice according to regular rice preparation. Once ready, keep covered on the stove so it stays warm. If you can use day-old rice here, even better so the rice has a chance to dry out in the refrigerator and create a chewier texture in your final dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell pepper, and garlic and sauté for about 2 or 3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Stir in the drained beans and season with salt and pepper. Add some of the reserved liquid (there should be some standing liquid but not soup-like). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and continue to simmer until heated through.
- Add the rice to the bean mixture. If dry, additional bean liquid reserve can be added. Bean liquid helps to bind the rice and beans together.
- Serve on plate with Plantains on the side.
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Skewers
A grilled meal that’ll go well with our Love Symbol Grenache on a hot Valentine’s Day and to top it off, it’s made with a simple sriracha maple glaze. Nothing says I Love You like grilling up some bacon wrapped chicken skewers for you and your valentine to enjoy.
- 1kg Chicken Breast
- 450g Bacon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- sriracha – 2 tbsp
- maple syrup – 2 tbsp
- barbecue sauce – 2 tbsp
- Cut chicken breast into cubes, about one inch per side.
- Add spices to large Ziplock bag and shake to combine. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat.
- Wrap each piece of chicken in 1/3 to 1/2 piece of bacon and slide onto skewer.
- Oil your grill grates to prevent sticking, then add skewers over high heat.
- Grill on
- Place skewers on your well-oiled grill and grill one side for about 3 minutes.
- Turn the skewer over and baste the crispy, grilled side while the other cooks for another three minutes.
- Continue to flip and baste until the bacon is crisp and chicken is cooked to 165°F